If you did not create a mirrored ZFS root pool during installation, you can easily create one after the installation.
For information about replacing a disk in root pool, see How to Replace a Disk in the ZFS Root Pool.
- Display your current root pool status.
# zpool status rpool pool: rpool state: ONLINE scrub: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM rpool ONLINE 0 0 0 c1t0d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors
- Attach a second disk to configure a mirrored root pool.
# zpool attach rpool c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0 Please be sure to invoke installboot(1M) to make ‘c1t1d0s0’ bootable. Make sure to wait until resilver is done before rebooting.
- View the root pool status to confirm that resilvering is complete.
# zpool status rpool pool: rpool state: ONLINE status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state. action: Wait for the resilver to complete. scrub: resilver in progress for 0h1m, 24.26% done, 0h3m to go config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM rpool ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 c1t0d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0 c1t1d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0 3.18G resilvered errors: No known data errorsIn the above output, the resilvering process is not complete. Resilvering is complete when you see messages similar to the following:
scrub: resilver completed after 0h10m with 0 errors on Thu Mar 11 11:27:22 2010
- Apply boot blocks to the second disk after resilvering is complete.
sparc# installboot -F zfs /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/zfs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0
x86# installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0
- Verify that you can boot successfully from the second disk.
- Set up the system to boot automatically from the new disk, either by using the eeprom command, the setenv command from the SPARC boot PROM. Or, reconfigure the PC BIOS.
- Previous: Installing and Booting an Oracle Solaris ZFS Root File System (Overview)
- Next: Installing a ZFS Root File System (Oracle Solaris Flash Archive Installation)
- © 2010, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates
echo | format zpool attach -f rpool c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0 zpool status installboot -f -F zfs /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/zfs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0